Prosthetic forearm with an articulated hand, known as an “American prosthesis”
From the beginning of the war, French command sought to modernize the uniforms, headgear and equipment of its soldiers. From April 1915, the famous “horizon blue” uniform appeared, the “tricolour” cloth of which was made up of white (35%), dark blue (15%) and light blue (50%) wool.
In order to address the cumbersomeness of previous uniforms, command ultimately adopted a lighter combat uniform for the frontline soldiers. It included a 1914/1915 model pea jacket with a straight collar, knee trousers, the Adrian helmet, puttees and ankle boots.
The specific equipment of the combat gear included a belt and cartridge pouches for a rifle, a trench knife, two satchels, two two-litre canteens, a shovel worn across the chest, and the Berthier 1907/15 rifle, worn so as to keep the soldier’s hands free. The haversack was replaced with a roll of tent canvas worn around the neck.