Wagons of the World War
From 1905, the French armed forces took an interest in the field kitchens already in use in the German and British forces, and tested them. A 1912 ministerial directive confirmed their adoption for the infantry and engineers. However, in August 1914, this type of equipment was practically unavailable: just thirty units were in service in the armed forces. Centrally prepared meals were preferred. But the stabilization of the frontlines accelerated the transition, and 12,870 units were ordered urgently from French and foreign manufacturers during the winter of 1914-1915.
Several different models were commissioned, before a standard model was adopted in 1917. The field kitchen, equipped with fuel and food, would providing the troops with regular hot meals. It was deployed a few kilometres behind the front. Meals were distributed across the network to the frontlines by soldiers on supply duty.
Field kitchen, 1916 model, first quarter of the 20th century, steel, copper, wood, 180 x 350 x 40 cm. Inventory no.: 2006.1.14181.